Amazing new opportunities that come from learning
We all are a work in progress, never more so than when we intend to make progress. Beginnings seem to always have an allure of freshness, even in 2021 when there’s more continuation than new. Yet, we may be poised exactly where we need to be to make positive changes that we might not have thought we needed or have thought about at all a year ago.
For me, this is a time to reflect on what has happened in the past year and how I am dealing with it. There are some amazing new opportunities that come from learning new things, such as telehealth. Though not seamless in the transition, there are many ways that telehealth, and technology in general, have expanded my knowledge and given me a new perspective.
Change comes from need and sometimes from desire. I personally embrace change, especially if I think I have some control. Sometimes I just need to think that I do. So, what change are you going to make? Could I make some suggestions?
- Journal. It’s not an assignment and doesn’t need any kind of consistency. Just sometimes, it’s nice to write about thoughts, dreams, good and bad things. I like to record things that interest me, like a podcast that was meaningful, a poem I liked, or a song and artist that I want to hear again.
- Practice mindfulness. Take 10 to 20 minutes to meditate, relax with your breathing, listen to meditative music. Use an app or YouTube video. Stretch, tune in to your senses, smile.
- Learn something. There are virtual tours, master classes, free Coursera classes, and a plethora of ways to stimulate your thinking. Try something you’ve never done before.
- Reach out to someone you have neglected or someone who made a difference in your life, even if it was a long time ago. A phone call, a note or email may reestablish a connection that enhances your life.
- Give away more than you bring in to your home. If you are able, make someone else’s life easier while reducing the heaviness of things in your own life. Sharing really is caring.
- Move your body. In whatever way you are able, keep your body moving and limber.
- Believe. Whatever you embrace spiritually, take some time to get or stay in touch with that powerful force that helps you feel you are not alone, that you are loved and are precious.
This list is entirely incomplete, so feel free to add to it. Take each day as it comes and do what you can with it. Things may not be all we wish them to be, but we can work to do the best we can with the day we have. I wish you peace in 2021.